If the business sells small quantities of fuel (automotive or otherwise), but
not car parts, then in what sense does shop=car_parts apply? Fuel is not part
of the car.

On March 23, 2015 8:55:57 AM CDT, Friedrich Volkmann <b...@volki.at> wrote:
> On 23.03.2015 11:02, Dave Swarthout wrote:
> > An amenity is something the /general public/ might like or use or
> want to
> > visit. These little shops are definitely not that. They sell small
> > quantities of fuel, usually 2 or 3 liters, to local motorcycle
> drivers.
>
> That's why the general public might like to visit these shops - or any
> other
> fuel station.
>
> Ok, if it's only 2 or 3 liters, it's not really a fuel station, but
> rather a
> shop=car_parts. Anyway, we don't need to invent a new tag.
>
> > And
> > the Wiki's definition of shop is: "A place selling retail products
> or
> > services."  Too brief perhaps but it does allow for a wide range of
> additions.
>
> Cafes, restaurants and theaters sell retail products or services as
> well.
> You can use either of the amenity=* or shop=* keys, you just need to
> stick
> to it.
>
> > Meanwhile, until the renderers get smart, people are going to travel
> > these shops hoping to fill up their SUVs. This is exactly what I'm
> trying to
> > avoid. I do not see why there is so much resistance to adding
> another value
> > to the shop keys in existence. There are some pretty strange special
> values
> > out there:
> > shop=bag
> > shop=e-cigarette
> > shop=fashion  (??)
>
> One evil cannot justify another evil. I never set the shop=fashion
> tag,
> because it's just a useless synonym for shop=clothes.
>
> --
> Friedrich K. Volkmann       http://www.volki.at/
> Adr.: Davidgasse 76-80/14/10, 1100 Wien, Austria

John F. Eldredge -- j...@jfeldredge.com
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive
out hate; only love can do that." -- Martin Luther King, Jr.