On Wed, May 13, 2015 at 1:09 PM, Bryce Nesbitt <bry...@obviously.com> wrote:

> A signed height limit is likely somewhat conservative.  On a USA road
> way that's an advisory sign, but if you
> run a larger load under the bridge and something happens it's your fault.
>
> The actual maximum height is likely larger.  There are heavy goods
> databases with precise measurements
> taken by laser scanners on the roadway.
>

>From experience and based on DOT guidelines, at least the official signs
are accurate at the lowest point over the roadway they're posted for (or if
it's per lane, the lowest point over that lane) at the time they are
posted.  However, truckers are advised that repaving will cause the sign to
show a *higher* clearance than will fit through the gap by up to several
inches, and to take that into account (ie, if your vehicle is 14' tall,
you're probably cutting it close on something posted 14'10" and daring the
canopener at 14'5").

But you did just remind me that there's maxheight signals in Bartlesville
and Sand Springs that I'm aware of, that stop all traffic from entering
with red signals and usually have some kind of neon OVERHEIGHT sign or a
LED sign with a more lengthy explanation...should remember to get the
clearances on those so I can map the enforcement.