On Wed, May 13, 2015 at 4:03 AM, Colin Smale <colin.sm...@xs4all.nl> wrote:

>  Don't agree with this... there have been discussions in the past about
> whether the "width" of a "way" includes the pavements etc... Where a road
> goes under a bridge, where do you measure the "height" of the road? The
> highest point (not good enough for vehicles) or the "lowest highest point"
> or "in the middle of the road"? I would expect maxheight:physical to apply
> to a "normal vehicle", of maybe 2.5m width.

There are cases where maxheight:physical and maxwidth:physical may be
different from the legal definitions and significantly affect the
viability.  A standout problem regularly occurs in Oregon where you can
have human powered vehicles up to about 3 feet wide legally, but many
cycleways, particularly older ones built before the 1990s, have barriers
that make all but the 10-speeds with drop bars impractical as negotiating
the barriers that keep motorists out also prevent longer or wider bicycles
from fitting.  Similar issues exist on Oklahoma turnpikes, which commonly
allow vehicles up to 11'6" wide, but the typical cash toll booth is only
capable of fitting a 9'5" wide vehicle.  Go figure.