On Sat, May 16, 2015 at 4:46 AM, Daniel Koć <daniel@koć.pl> wrote:

> My "long tail" intuition are now supported by a scientific study called
> "Characterizing the Heterogeneity of the OpenStreetMap Data and Community",
> and we know even how much advanced users are there! The abstract says:
>
> "All three aspects (users, elements, and contributions) demonstrate
> striking power laws or heavy-tailed distributions. The heavy-tailed
> distributions imply that there are far more small elements than large ones,
> far more inactive users than active ones, and far more lightly edited
> elements than heavy-edited ones. Furthermore, about 500 users in the core
> group of the OSM are highly networked in terms of collaboration."
>
> [ http://www.mdpi.com/2220-9964/4/2/535 ]
>
> So, we should really take care of casual mappers!

I confess to not fully understanding all the statistics in the article, but
it is clear that "casual" mappers make significant contributions to OSM. I
did wonder about the statement "... about 500 users in the core group of
the OSM are highly networked in terms of collaboration." Really,
collaboration? Someone just made a mass edit in an area I watch with a user
name I didn't recognize. Nothing wrong with the edit, I'm just pointing out
that we don't always collaborate. Imports are a good example of when we do
and a perfect example of when we don't.

Clifford

--
@osm_seattle