On 5/22/2015 1:43 AM, Bryce Nesbitt wrote:
On Thu, May 21, 2015 at 3:52 PM, Rafael Avila Coya <ravilac...@gmail.com
<mailto:ravilac...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    Hi, Bryce:
    Yes. Everything is temporary. So whatever we do in OSM for temporary
    objects has to be applied to ALL objects.

We don't store the number of chickens found in each compound.
We do store railways, the traces of which are often found a hundred
years after construction.

-------------------------------

Somewhere in the middle is a boundary.

The mapping of survey data feels to be better served by use of OSM as a
base map, rather than attributes of the base map.
The survey data as well involves a judgement: the type that's often not
verifiable or maintainable by a latter mapper.

That "temporary" road clearly belongs in OSM.  When it's replaced, an on
the ground mapper can see that situation
and adjust.  No so for the chicken count, or the damage assessment data.

While I appreciate this discussion, I don't feel this is the place for it.

Things like damaged/blocked roads, bridges, dams and even building damage data are verifiable on the ground. We work to train people in areas where OSM has little to no reach how to survey, confirm and care take the data.

OSM is about mapping what is important to people, and believe me, if the only bridge for 50km is out that is important to me and others.

I don't think we really tag this sort of damage very often, but when and where we do, we and others consider it important data.

So I would really like to get the most sensible tagging possible for damaged infrastructure and buildings and other disaster event related objects so where it makes sense to tag those in OSM we can tag them well.

Regards
blake