These replies are all very helpful, thank you very much.

On 5/22/2015 9:04 AM, Frederik Ramm wrote:

Whether the bridge was broken by a hurricane or an earthquake or in a
war, will often not be easy to discern on the ground. Therefore I view a
tag that details the event which broke the bridge, and when that event
happened, as problematic.

The intention of the damage:event=* or maybe disaster:event=* tag doesn't have much to do with assigning causation, and has more to do with tag maintenance. We want to be able to run projects that get objects that were tagged with an event related tag to review, revise or remove them.