The "abandoned" or "disused" tags are for a structure that is not currently being used for anything. If the structure is currently being used for a different purpose, it is not abandoned or disused. Nonetheless, you can often tell what its original purpose was from the shape. You can often tell the original purpose from farther away than you can tell the current usage, so it is useful to tag both the building's characteristics as well as its current use.

--
John F. Eldredge -- j...@jfeldredge.com
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." -- Martin Luther King, Jr.

On May 29, 2015 5:12:26 PM John Willis <jo...@mac.com> wrote:

> On May 30, 2015, at 12:41 AM, Daniel Koć <daniel@koć.pl> wrote:
>
> But if not, we have no system, just historical cases and a lot of exceptions. I think it's time to try to make some rules instead.

I though there was some tag prefix like disused: or abandoned: that could be used with the building=industrial to note what its original purpose was for.

Maybe you are just supposed to use building=church and shop=poodles for a church that was converted into a poodle shop - but i imagine that would be only if it was really really obvious that it was a church, not just by its shape, but by the presence of original fixtures and ornamental architecture - not just that it has a steeple on one side.

There has to be some threshold - there are Hundreds and hundreds of 7-11s that closed in Japan that are now repurposed - but you know exactly that it was a 7-11 based on architecture alone - but i don't feel tagging building=convenience_store + shop=poodles on it helps anyone.

Javbw