sent from a phone

Am 28.09.2015 um 13:45 schrieb Philip Barnes <p...@trigpoint.me.uk>:

>> Is it acceptable to combine amenity=pub & tourism=hotel?
> I think so, then whichever is searched will be returned.

In some cases I would prefer to have 2 different objects here, as many
properties/attributes  of these may be different. E.g. do they have the same
opening hours? The same entrance? The same phone number? The same name? The
same operating business? Does the hotelstar rating (if any) apply to the pub?

Maybe it's not a problem (e.g. same name and operator, but different phone
numbers and opening hours could be hotel:phone hotel:opening_hours), but if
significant properties are different it would be better to use distinct osm
objects.

> The hotel also being the pub is very common.

like sleeping on the tables or drinking in the beds? Surely they don't use the
same physical space (e.g. ground floor vs. upper floor), but I agree that there
are businesses that do both, run a pub and offer accommodation, and where the
whole thing could be seen as one entity, maybe there is even room for a new
tag, like amenity=inn? There's also the word "tavern", Wikipedia en mentions
that both, inn and tavern (which had become used interchangeably) had been
replaced by "pub" ;-)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tavern#Great_Britain

Then there are also hotels with (even several) "pubs" and restaurants inside
them.
These cases are best mapped with a hotel object (polygon) and pub and
restaurant objects inside it (IMHO).

cheers
Martin