On Fri, 2 Oct 2015 21:50:56 +1000
Warin <61sundow...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Prior to April 2014 the wiki for intermittent had no reference to
> >> 'seasonal' in its description.
> > And I would not be against removing them. I am only against
> > restricting intermittent=yes to random lack of water.
> >
> > Stream that disappears every summer IMHO should be tagged as
> > [waterway=stream, intermittent=yes, seasonal=yes].
>
> If it disappears every summer then it is seasonal, not intermittent.

Can you provide sources that in hydrology "intermittent waterway" does
not apply to regular appearance/disappearance of water?

According to what I found[1] "intermittent waterway" include not only
"random" disappearance of water. It explicitly includes
case of "Intermittent streams flow seasonally".

> Intermittent does not mean seasonal...

Nobody claims that.

> > In case that using intermittent for "waterway does not have a
> > permanent flow/waterbody does not have a permanent presence" is
> > clearly bad we need tag is needed to cover this information.
>
> That tag exists .. it is 'intermittent' as defined before April 2014.
> The  meaning of 'intermittent' on the wiki was changed in April
> 2014 ... before that it had no relationship to seasonal. And was
> correct! The change is not a depreciation but a clarification.
>
> To me and some others the use by some in OSM of intermittent is now
> used incorrectly. And that should stop.

And recent edits removed mentions of "seasonal" restoring state before
April 2014 - see
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Key%3Aintermittent&diff=1224529&oldid=789604

> random, no relation to seasons (intermittent)

Can you provide sources that in hydrology "intermittent waterway" does
not apply to regular appearance/disappearance of water?

According to what I found[1] "intermittent waterway" include not only
"random" disappearance of water. It explicitly includes
case of "Intermittent streams flow seasonally".

[1]

 "Intermittent streams flow seasonally in response to snowmelt and/or
 elevated groundwater tables resulting from increased periods of
 precipitation and/or decreased evapotranspiration." from "Temporary
 streams" by Margaret Palmer, or
 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perennial_stream " "Perennial" streams
 are contrasted with "intermittent" streams which normally cease
 flowing for weeks or months each year, and with "ephemeral" channels
 that flow only for hours or days following rainfall." or
 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stream#Intermittent_and_ephemeral_streams .