> On Oct 11, 2015, at 3:25 PM, Mateusz Konieczny <matkoni...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Castle as in "a type of fortified structure built in Europe and the
> Middle East during the Middle Ages by nobility".

We'll have to append "and Asia" on that. There are castles all over Japan
(China too?), and I know at least one is a unesco world heritage site.

The nice thing About Japanese castles is that they are clearly named and
clearly castles - there is very little confusion on what is a castle and what
is some other structure.

While Himeji-jo is the most famous, I'm fond of the "Black Crow" castle -
Matsumoto-jo

https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/javbw/11091222754/

Definition Attempt:

[
Usually an existing fortified, physically isolated (through
walls/moats/topography), and vertically dominant structure used (when active)
not only for protection of leadership, but also as a base for controlling the
surrounding area politically, economically, and militarily.

Tagging:  When still existing, castles are usually historic attractions. If he
structure is damaged beyond recognition or partially destroyed/abandoned, then
its a ruin, or if just the raised ground base of the castle remains, just a
historic attraction. Only a structure that is whole enough to be recognized as
a castle should be tagged as a castle. Partial ruins or remaining grounds
should not be tagged as a castle, but as [insert proper ruins historic tag
here].  This tag does not apply to modern structures styled to look like a
castle (Like Disneyland's).
]

This "raisedbase/pad" is a very common occurrence in Japan - there are three
bases of razed and deconstructed castles in my city area alone. They are parks
and/or historic sites now, not a stone left to even be a ruin.

Javbw