Javbw

> On Oct 16, 2015, at 3:49 AM, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdre...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> t least the intention was to build a castle, the typology is copying
> from castles, Hearst ruled an imperium (of publishing), he organized
> impressive receptions, held formal dinners, etc. --- for me the
> meaning of castle as you describe it would not have to be stretched
> (much).

No, it wouldn't, you're right.

Apple is building a big round HQ in Cupertino - it is very large and imposing
structure - holding thousands of "troops" - famous "generals" of Ive and Cook",
and their formidable "weapons" to fight against their enemy across the valley
in the "Googolplex" castle.

Its easy to use language to make anything anything, especially if you conflate
the personality of the occupants with the building, rather than the usage and
purpose(s) of the building itself.

All of the things that make Hearst castle not a castle are in its intended
purpose and usage before it was a historical museum. The qualities of the man
made it seem more formidable, and its location is also topographically
imposing, but the intended use of the facility was a lavish residence in the
style of a castle. My aunt has a giant log cabin on a 1500m hill, much higher
than Hearst's lavish residence on the coast.

This height advantage doesn't make her residence any more of a castle, nor more
important than Heart Castle (the elevation importance argument).

Apple is calling their new campus a "spaceship" - and though large and
imposing, it is not a craft for space travel. It's just a name.

"A man's home is his castle" - but the structure is still a "house". Same with
Hearst.

Javbw