> On Oct 16, 2015, at 5:49 PM, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdre...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> And btw., you have not yet answered the question regarding the Neuschwanstein
> case. I could name a similar example (besides the other Ludwig II castles in
> Bavaria), much smaller, here:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lichtenstein_Castle_%28W%C3%BCrttemberg%29
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lichtenstein_Castle_%28W%C3%BCrttemberg%29>
> Or also this one, residence of the emperor of Germany (prussian enclave), but
> not actually a defensive structure (but "fake defensive"):
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hohenzollern_Castle
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hohenzollern_Castle>
>
> Do you agree these are castles? This is the wiki list about castles:
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:castle_type
> <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:castle_type>

Yes, those are castles. I think i would use one on the wiki page as “here is a
castle”, as they look like what an american imagines a castle to be.

The current values proposed under castle_type seem to cover them and probably
most of the structures non-europeans think of as “castles" - and a lot of
buildings I would call palaces or estates or something. When I see a manor
home, I certainly don’t think "castle". The White House is a palace under these
tags (i think), and I have never thought as the white house as a castle. This
is definitely a regional/cultural semantics difference in “castle”.

To me, as a layperson, “castle” seems to stereotypically much more narrowly
defined.

But I am not an expert on castles nor those homes, nor do I intend to be - so
if that’s the case, and how people interested in castles want to tag it, then
go ahead.  Hearst Castle could be considered a manor.

I am just wondering if we should have a “modern/reproduction/styled” value for
the inevitable situation when someone tags a replica or a much more more modern
“styled” structure as a castle - or if we just put on the wiki what those
things should be tagged as.

and also - how do we handle the grounds? is there landuse=castle?
Javbw.