Javbw
> On Nov 6, 2015, at 3:51 AM, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdre...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> I suggest to be quite specific at this type level, because barrier=fence is
> already generic. For the material without any more detail we could use
> fence:material rather than a type tag

+1

In America, chain link is very very popular, whereas in Japan, 1.8m  welded
wire lattice sections are everywhere (I think these are very European).

(Use street view)
https://goo.gl/maps/4S9eCrNnKTN2

Speaking of metal bars, I have a question about that.

In Japan, a half-wall half-fence like thing is common.  Cinder block walls are
very common for commercial and residential boundary walls, and in many places
are normal 1.5m tall walls. These cinder blocks are almost as narrow as bricks
- 15cm or so.

But also it is common to have extruded aluminum square tubing/bar arranged in a
10-15cm spaced pattern prefabricated 1.8m sections put on top of a 50-100cm
tall wall.

An isolated example of a common type.
(Use street view)
https://goo.gl/maps/R7tYyYXQh6E2

There are probably several thousand KM of this type of wall-fence in Japan.

(Interesting note, across the street is precast concrete fencing! It is used
exclusively for protecting train lines).

The aluminum sections are very light, and not only allow very strong winds to
pass easily (so much less reinforcement is needed), but allows much greater
visibility through the wall and less danger of collapse over time from
earthquakes.

Many places who want something more decorative than anodized aluminum get all
kinds of precast metal, fancy metal rod, or use even cheaper ones like that
metal lattice fencing to put on top.

Concrete wall with brick facade, aluminum posts and cast aluminum sections.
(Use street view)
https://goo.gl/maps/k6tnknBZXKS2

I have just tagged those as "wall" and be happy to continue doing so - but if I
wanted to document it's 1/2wall, 1/2 fence nature, what do you Suggest?

Javbw