> On Nov 9, 2015, at 10:14 PM, Andrew Errington <erringt...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Surely this is a rendering problem?
>
> In other words, if there are many named traffic lights within a
> certain distance of each other then only one symbol/name/whatever
> should be rendered?  If the traffic lights are all tagged the same
> then it ought to be even easier.

> On Nov 9, 2015, at 8:28 PM, Michał Brzozowski <www.ha...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Frankly I don't find their road system to be that different to
> necessitate areal representation,

I have been showing easy sections. There are large parts of the road network
where the maxwidth changes every 10-20 meters, so they use area based visual
for the roads.

The signals can be very close to one another becuase of complex and convoluted
roads.  A rule that would work well in Tokyo, with it’s massive intersections,
could easily group 2 unrelated lights together.

The goal (if I understand it correctly, but I am not good at relations) of
traffic Signals area was to leave nodes in their normal places on the roads,
and connect them together with an area to say “this is a single light” via a
relation, which better renderers can then render the light icon (and an
attached name) as a single light.

I’m not sure some fuzzy logic rule could group them together unless we just put
all the nodes (and crosswalk crossings?) into a relation for a renderer to
easily parse in some manner.

Having a system that allowed multiple icons to be rendered for complicated
junctions was, IMO, a mistake in the first place. a simple intersection between
two ways, fine, but when we get into messy intersections, have 5-6 signal icons
represented seems odd. Perhaps the data customers don’t mind - but the default
rendered map is my priority. I care about fixing it for this regional issue,
but I if this helps everyone, and we can find a way to make it not such a
bother for mappers (making a relation, etc), then I am all for it - whatever
does the job properly.

Javbw.