> On Nov 13, 2015, at 7:46 PM, tomoya muramoto <muramototom...@gmail.com> wrote:

> However officially (legally) the name is "place" name. It causes some
> problems.

I understood it to be the signals were named after the places - not the places
themselves.And only *sometimes* named for places.

Places are named with place=*, and it is well documented how to name any
location in Japan, including the 小字 / 字 / 丁 / 丁目 places with
place=neighbourhood

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Japan_tagging#Places

These are signal names, and often they are named for buildings or other
locations, not the actual place=neighbourhood places.

A Signal in my city is named, translated, “ Above Kiryu Train Station” 桐生駅前

https://www.google.co.jp/maps/@36.4115134,139.3328665,18.59z
<http://www.mapion.co.jp/m2/42.99001590102444,141.35332833963417,15>

The coffee shop on the corner is  Miyamae-cho 2丁 8-5   =>   桐生駅前 is not part of
it’s address - it is just the name of that signal.

They are all just named traffic signals.

The examples you give are reasons why they are signal names, and not junction
or place names.

> Small problem: No junction
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/node/1114945003
> <http://www.openstreetmap.org/node/1114945003>
The signals are named for the building complex (just like lights are often
named for train stations).

The light is just for the crosswalk.  Naming the signal controlling the
crosswalk should not be an issue.

The crosswalk itself (road x crosswalk could be considered a junction too.

> Severe problem: Different names

> I don't have any idea to map them correctly.

wow! that is interesting! I’ve never seen that before.

it looks like they are signs for the block you are entering. so depending on
your direction of travel, you see a different block name.

<=== west6     ooo   west5 ======== west5    ooo   west 4======== west4   ooo
 west 3 ==>

but it overlaps in in both directions. all the lights in that area are that
way.

wow!  All of Sapporo is that way!

Google does it with a single named signal with the lowest and highest values

https://www.google.co.jp/maps/@43.0923,141.3410069,17.55z
<https://www.google.co.jp/maps/@43.0923,141.3410069,17.55z>

N26 W6
N27 W5

Yahoo Too
http://maps.loco.yahoo.co.jp/maps?type=scroll&datum=wgs&mode=map&pointer=off&lat=35.4573089010882&lon=139.619295364418&z=19

<http://maps.loco.yahoo.co.jp/maps?type=scroll&datum=wgs&mode=map&pointer=off&lat=35.4573089010882&lon=139.619295364418&z=19>

N26 W6 • N27 W5

Mapion as well

http://www.mapion.co.jp/m2/42.99001590102444,141.35332833963417,15

N27 W5  • N26 W6

For people driving, each signal should have it’s own name - but it looks like
the map companies have standardized on this layout for naming the set of
signals.

This would be a big problem if we were naming junctions, but we are naming
signals, so we can give each of the signals a name -

but it is very difficult to get a single icon to render (one set of signals)
but have all 4 names shown. I suppose this is why everyone chose the solution
they did.

Perhaps we can have the signal members in a group get their own name for
routing purposes, but that might be overkill. We since this is such an odd
thing, baybe we should follow the data conventions of the other maps and use
named pairs for each signal name.

I will now go and look at some other large cities to see if they have this
weird grid issue as well. I have never seen this before now.

Javbw