On Tue, Nov 24, 2015 at 5:24 AM, John Willis <jo...@mac.com> wrote:

> Jaywalking will get you a bored policeman giving you a ticket in Tokyo.
>
> They pride themselves in people who follow the rules and wait for
> crosswalks and such.

Seattle is one of the few cities in the US that actively hands out
jaywalking tickets. We warn all newcomers not to jaywalk. Moving from
Chicago ment having to force myself not to jaywalk. In Chicago, even if
there was a cop directing traffic everyone crossed when and where they
wanted. Traffic be dammed.

> However the sidewalk "grid" disappears very quickly (most unclassified and
> residential streets have no sidewalks), but there are "green" zones on the
> sides of some narrow roads (like narrow residential roads and back alleys
> of Tokyo) where the shoulder of the road is expected to be used for
> pedestrian access (not a full sidewalk).
>
> This makes mapping the sidewalks quite easy in Japan - they disappear
> quite quickly once you leave secondary roads. For Places where they they go
> on and on and on - like huge planned housing communities in California -
> it's a good question!

The city in question is Seattle. Most of Seattle's residential streets have
sidewalks as do most large cities in the US.

--
@osm_seattle
osm_seattle.snowandsnow.us