On Mon, 2015-11-23 at 19:14 -0500, Bryan Housel wrote:
> Current preference seems to be map sidewalks as separate ways tagged as
> `highway=footway + footway=sidewalk`.
>
> 1. As you mentioned, you can use sidewalk-specific tags (slope, surface)
> without affecting the adjacent highway.
> 2. The sidewalk and the road really are separate features.
> 3. New users like to trace and they are going to map it like this anyway.
>
> I don’t really buy the “mapping sidewalks as part of the road makes routing
> easier" argument, but I don’t work on routing software so maybe there really
> is something complicated about routing that I am unaware of.

-1 000 000

Sidewalks, unless they are physically separated in some way are an
integral part of the highway. Sidewalk tags can allow a router to, maybe
prefer, roads with sidewalks but there a lot of cases where this would
just be plain annoying. A pedestrian simply needs to be told to follow
the road, they are quite capable of deciding which side to walk, where
to cross and whether it is simply easier to walk on the road.

Mapping sidewalks separately will result in routing to junctions, which
are the worse place for crossing the road, or am I expected to connect
the sidewalk to the road every metre or so to allow real world
pedestrian routing?

Phil (trigpoint)