On Tue, 2015-11-24 at 15:22 -0800, Clifford Snow wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 24, 2015 at 2:12 PM, Tobias Knerr <o...@tobias-knerr.de>
> wrote:
> > Sure, but the sidewalk attribute is essential for other, much more
> > basic
> > use cases that separate ways fail to serve.
> >
> Can you elaborate on why separate ways fail to serve?

They are not matching reality, can cause long detours and poor routing
unless the mapper provides a lot of connections to the road. Remember
normal pedestrians can cross wherever they want.

There is also the simple rendering issue, roads are already wide and
are very close or clipping buildings. The sidewalk if mapped in
position is likely to be hidden under the road.

> > > I don't think relations are the right answer either. It isn't
> > easy to
> > > teach new people how to add relations. We should be able to
> > identify
> > > footpaths adjacent to roads by their spatial characteristics.
> >
> > But we CAN'T, at least not in any reliable fashion. "Just draw a
> > way
> > somewhere near the road and magic computers sort out the mess" is,
> > frankly, not a viable option.
> >
> > There has to be some explicit connection between sidewalks and
> > their
> > roads. And as soon as you take this into account, the separate
> > sidewalks
> > stop being newbie friendly at all. They only seem that way because
> > you
> > pretend the main challenge does not exist.
> >
> Setting aside the newbie friendly issue, how do you map a crosswalk
> in the middle of a street?
Add a node where the drop kerb is and map which side it belongs to.

> How do you map kerb slopes when the the slope is in the corner the
> intersection?
I assume by kerb slope you mean a drop kerb? They are never in the
corner. Remember the way, when editing, represents the centreline so
they are a few metres into the joining street. This also give turning
vehicles space to stop for pedestrians.

Phil (trigpoint)