sent from a phone

> Am 10.01.2016 um 08:58 schrieb johnw <jo...@mac.com>:
>
> I wish people would realize that leaving governmental stuff out in the cold
> to have pieces added to other tagging schemes bit by bit until it is
> acattered all over makes for a plainly inferior map, does not follow OSM
> practices with other complexes / types,  and creates mapper confusion and the
> creation of undocumented tags, especially in places with a lot of government
> offices and building complexes.

I generally agree with your observations, to make the map really useful in this
field, we have to agree on some way to tag the details (btw. the same applies
to hospitals (which do not cover every discipline but just one or a few), to
university institutes and likely more). If we want to make meaningful searches
which go beyond text search on the name (i.e. on structured information), we
have to come up with a scheme.

Now, there are some differences in how governments are organized, ministries
get frequently restructured for instance, but I believe these differences are
not so huge that we cannot solve these issues. To avoid multiple tag values I
guess we will have to make attributes similar to how we deal with payment
details, i.e. we could tag with individual keys which kind of services are
offered , e.g. administration:passport=yes (just an example to illustrate the
idea, not the exact wording likely).

The reason why nobody has yet tackled this is (maybe), because it seems a lot
of work, but we don't have to start with a perfect scheme, we can start with
something partial and complement or refine it later.

cheers
Martin