Sent: Sunday, March 06, 2016 7:52 AM
To: tagging@openstreetmap.org
Subject: Re: [Tagging] Draft of proposal tag 'sells' for shops..

On 6/03/2016 5:58 PM, Marc Gemis wrote:
I like this, but have a few question:

- Do we always place brand at the end ?

e.g. sells:cloths:children:Mói=yes
or sells:cloths:Mói:children=yes ?

- Can we somehow define whether one should use

sells:cloths:children vs. sells:children_cloths

what I mean can we put forward some "rules"  or "guidelines" for
defining new subkeys ?.

Guide line? Possible?

From least to most specific.

I think that should be the overall principle .. appears to be a principle inuse by OSM .. at least I think so?

More specific?

I would reject sells:children_cloths and accept sells:cloths:children as this is more universal method (applies to bread etc)?

I would put the brand last - as that is more specific than the type (of clothing, bread etc).

- Do we always need all subkeys ?

e.g. sells:clothes:brandX:women=yes
sells:clothes:brandX:men=yes
sells:clothes:brandX:children=yes

or sells:clothes:women:brandX, ...

or is it in that case sufficient to write

sells:clothes:brandX=yes

I think the last would be sufficient, and should indicate that most, if not all, products made by that firm are for sale.

But the first 3 would be very clear that at least those 3 types are sold (but tagging rearranged to brand last).

At least for some tags OSM has two complimentary kinds of tagging in the data base.

e.g. oneway=no compared to no tags for oneway. Both are taken as meaning the same thing. There are others, but I cannot think of them now.

- how do we incorporate all the values for clothes in this ?

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:clothes

1:1 substitution for all values?
cloths:women becomes sells:cloths:women ?

Similar for
shop=tabacco
stamps=yes

the tag stamps=yes becomes sells:stamp=yes Or better yet would be
sells:stamps:revenue=yes
and
sells:stamps:postage=yes

As both exist in various countries! And there could be more different kind of stamps?

! You see I have not gone far in my thinking ... but certainly further than others.

I guess similar questions will pop up for other goods.

I hope the general principle will be accepted without too much
problems, but I expect quite some discussions on the subkeys.
(neverending discussions :-)  )

Yep. And there will be future 'problems'.

regards

Keep them coming!