It depends on the kind of shops.

E.g vehicle related shops, typically have 1 or only a few brands. The
listof brands fixed for longer periods.
I think the same is true for some fashion outlets where you can only
find a collection from a limited number of brand.

I wouldn't start adding brands to all products you find in a
supermarket, garden centre, DIY etc.
But for those shops the categories of products can important, or at
least more important than the actual brands.

regards