On 14/03/2016 11:48, Richard wrote:
On Mon, Mar 14, 2016 at 07:20:46AM +0000, Malcolm Herring wrote:
The common name for such shops is "chandler". This is more specific to the
type of shop you want to tag. "marine" is too broad a term
this meaning is not even in wiktionary. How many of those shops
would even know they are called chandler?

It is - read https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/chandler again.

I wouldn't trust everything you read there though (a chandler is not primarily "A person who makes or sells candles"). The main English English use of "chandler" is in the sense of "ship's chandler" - someone who sells all sorts of stuff that might be useful to someone on a boat.

The wider sense ("someone who sells all sorts of stuff") is used, but more rarely. There's an example in http://halfmanhalfbiscuit.uk/90-bisodol-crimond/descent-of-the-stiperstones/ (which exists and is http://www.bunners.co.uk/ ), for example. That's in OSM as http://www.openstreetmap.org/node/489847395 (and "shop=hardware" there is correct, I think).

Although it's in the etymology, I've never heard of a modern candle-maker being described as a chandler.

Cheers,

Andy