I think we've hit upon yet another instance where the colloquial usage of a
term is causing problems. While I have heard of ship_chandlers before, the
term is not as popular in many parts of the world as in England or Europe.
Most mappers, especially younger ones, will throw up their hands upon
seeing shop=chandlery or its variations. I'm in favor of shop=marine
because IMO that term is more readily understandable than the other. At
least the word marine suggests ocean.

A perhaps similar case exists in the tag shop=chemist. Few people use this
term outside of Europe and the U.K. yet it persists and clouds the tagging
of what most people would call a pharmacy or even a drugstore. However, we
don't have a shop=pharmacy in OSM. For some reason it was put into the
amenity category and now amenity=pharmacy has over 157,000 uses while
shop=chemist has 16K uses and is certainly a confusing situation. One
person suggests on the discussion page of the amenity=pharmacy that stores
such as CVS and Boots should be tagged with both shop=chemist and
amenity=pharmacy depending on whether it dispenses prescription drugs. And
I can practically guarantee that if you walk into your local CVS and ask
them if they work in a chemist shop you'll get a blank stare in return.

In addition, in the Wiki entry for shop=chemist there is this paragraph:

"Historically, pharmacies were also known as chemists in the UK and
Commonwealth. In the past one could buy many common chemicals from such
shops, and the pharmacists could compound other chemicals and drugs
themselves. For most of the 20th century this meant that these shops were
also a common place to buy photographic products and services (film, film
processing, processing chemicals, etc.), but this role ceased for several
reasons: increased complexity of drugs; mail-order photo processing;
restrictions on sale of many chemicals). *This is tag name is therefore a
legacy of that phase in time*."

To my mind ship_chandler is just that, a legacy term, an historic holdover
from an earlier time.

Dave

On Tue, Mar 15, 2016 at 5:49 AM, Stefano <saba...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> All of them, in my (fairly extensive) experience.
>>>
>>> http://reader.waterwaysworld.com/fullsearch.cgi?q=chandlery
>>>
>>> Richard
>>>

>> A google for 'ship chandlers' on
>> https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q=ships+chandlers
>>
>> turns up quite a few that themselves use the term 'Chandlery' in their
>> own description.
>>
>> I think the term is common in the boating and shipping world.
>>

>> Hi all,
> In Genoa (Italy), I have at least two naval supplies shops naming
> themselves "(ship) chandlers".
>  One of them is this one http://www.yachtchandler.it/ (I mapped with the
> openseamap tagging plus shop=ship_chandler)
> The other one was established in 1858, has "ship chandler" on the sign,
> but I haven't yet mapped it.
> Another one I have mapped some years ago as shop=chandler (but no
> 'chandler' in the name iirc).
>
> Regards,
> Stefano

Dave Swarthout