> On Mar 19, 2016, at 10:13 AM, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdre...@gmail.com
> <mailto:dieterdre...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> prominence and topographic isolation,

Neither are good measures of mountains, besides for record holders.

- There are bigger volcanoes than Mt Fuji  in Russia, just north of Japan, that
no one knows the names of (internationally). They are equally isolated.
Klyuchevskaya Sopka is over 4200m (fuji is 3776), and equally as isolated as Mt
Fuji - and no one outside of that region knows it’s name.

Who can name one of the other 12 peaks in the Sierra Nevada Mountains in
California that are over 14,000 feet tall, within 500 feet as tall as Mt
Whitney (14,505)? I can name Mt Langley, but that is about it.

- Mt fuji is climbed by 100X (?) more people during climbing season than
Everest. So should Mt Everest be rendered later? What About Denali? Few people
climb it.

But these are all record holding - international, national, or regional
mountains - this idea of mapping mountains via prominence or topography
completely and utterly fails at a provincial level.

Regionally and provincially important mountains are often more important than
their taller neighbors due to their proximity to towns, or odd shapes - not any
height or isolation. Their proximity to the towns ingrains them into the
culture, through naming, religious significance, or tourism reasons.

Right next to Mt Fuji is a collapsed volcano and caldera called Mt Hakone
https://goo.gl/maps/hNSC9NwsHg42 <https://goo.gl/maps/hNSC9NwsHg42> . it is
very short now, and not nearly as prominent as nearby Mt Ashitaka or (of
course) Mt Fuji. But Hakone is a very famous place - though it’s height and
prominence would say otherwise. People all over Japan (and many international
tourists) come there buy eggs cooked in sulfurous vents and enjoy the hot
spring resorts inside the caldera.

In my region, Mt Akagi is famous. https://goo.gl/maps/8A5STm9VwAs
<https://goo.gl/maps/8A5STm9VwAs> & https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Akagi
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Akagi> . WWII buffs may recognize the
name, as the Carrier Akagi (lost at the battle of midway) is named after it. It
is the namesake of hundreds, perhaps thousands of places and things (I drink
"Mt. Akaki” Sake).  However, Mt Kessamaru is higher than Mt Akagi nearby. Most
people don’t know of it, nor care. This mountain, and two other visible, but
low mountains are called the “three mountains” of my provience - though they
are surrounded by taller ones. And the little points around the caldera (some
of which Google renders alongside Mt Akagi’s label) are only locally known, and
shouldn’t be rendered except at high zoom.

OSM is for gathering data - lots of lots of locally based knowledge of things.
Mountains are no different. Trying to decide what mountains are worth labeling
at different zooms via some GIS data is ridiculous.

So we render them all equally - which is equally as ridiculous.

So we will never have a better map / map data than the random GIS data that
everyone already has and already uses to make inferior, confusing maps - which
is what I’m trying to fix in OSM.

Javbw