On 20-Sep-16 12:51 AM, Kevin Kenny wrote:
tomb=cenotaph sounds perfect, if unusual.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steuben_Memorial_State_Historic_Site#/media/File:Baron_von_Steuben_Monumental_Tomb_Jul_10.jpg is the cenotaph that I was mapping when the question arose. Baron von Steuben's remains are in an unmarked grave somewhere nearby. The 'memorial tomb' was erected, contrary to his express wish to be buried in an unmarked grave, decades after his death. It is claimed, but by no means certain, that the memorial covers his remains. He is most certainly not entombed within it.

Not a 'cenotaph'. _Cenotaphs are not tombs_!

A definition of cenotaph is;
a) a structural monument in memory to a deceased person whose body is elsewhere (so not a tomb)
b) a municipal, civic, or national memorial to those killed in war.

On the LPI data base (for Australia, New South Wales) there are 13 listed 'cenotaphs'.