From: Satoshi IIDA <nyamp...@gmail.com>
Sent: 10 October 2016 11:35
To: Tag discussion, strategy and related tools
Subject: [Tagging] BCP 47, Multilingual Standard and OSM

Hello list,

Please let me clarify :)
I wonder if there is some consensus on multilingual standard about using BCP 47?

https://tools.ietf.org/html/bcp47

In Japan, we have been using "name:ja_rm" or "name:ja_kana" for expression of
Roman writing or pronunciation, traditionally (since around 2010?).
But currently, "name:ja_rm" or some other tags are going to be treated as
deprecated.

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Names
[https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/images/thumb/6/61/Helena%2C_Montana.jpg/240px-Helena%2C_Montana.jpg]<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Names>

Names - OpenStreetMap Wiki<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Names>
wiki.openstreetmap.org
If the name can be spelled without an abbreviation, then don't abbreviate it.
Computers can easily shorten words, but not the other way (St. could be Street
or Saint).

Problems are...

1. existing tags on objects ("name:ja_rm" and so on)
Maybe mechanical or mass edit would be needed.

I guess this would be huge cost for separation & need cost of existing Mappy
app clients.

2. name:zh
Chinese language is represented as "zh" in ISO639-1.
But as using BCP 47, it is separated in several scheme.
(such as traditional writing in Taiwan, and simplified one in PRC.)

Currently some Chinese languages are intermingled in one "zh" scheme.

https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/name%3Azh#values

Some discussion are already rising on Taiwan mappers.
https://osmtw.hackpad.com/RFC-Multilingual-names-ngewyizFYzN
[https://hackpad.com/static/img/hackpad-logo-112.png]<https://osmtw.hackpad.com/RFC-Multilingual-names-ngewyizFYzN>

[RFC] Multilingual
names<https://osmtw.hackpad.com/RFC-Multilingual-names-ngewyizFYzN>
osmtw.hackpad.com
?? ??????? name ?? (tag),?????? alpha-2 code of ISO 639-1,???????????
name:zh?????????????????????,????????????,????????? key ??????? Everest
????????????????????????????? http://www.openstreetmap.

Your comments welcome!

P.S.
Related information.