On Tue, Nov 22, 2016 at 9:30 AM, Greg Troxel <g...@lexort.com> wrote:

>>> On Nov 22, 2016 8:41 PM, "Blake Girardot" <bgirar...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>     I have worked with folks doing ground surveys of helicopter landing
>>>     zones during emergency response.
>>>
>>>     These are ground truthed locations, observed by active search and
>>>     rescue helicopter pilots collecting the basic minimum critical ground
>>>     survey items for an HLZ for their aircraft type.
>>>
>>>     They collect the data and provide it in the public domain and I would
>>>     like to map it.
>>>
>>>     I think the vast majority of the items collected are already well
>>>     supported in OSM, trees, light poles, ground type, area, grade,
>>>     landuse.
>>>
>>>     What would be the best way to map this data? Does it need its own
>>>     namespace? Just map  regular OSM tagging and render the data myself
>>>     custom?
>
> For things that exist and are describable independent of caring about
> helicopters, definitely you should use regular tags.  If there is some
> feature of interest that doesn't have established tagging, you'll have
> to invent it.  But choose tags so that anyone who cares about the thing
> in question can be happy with, rather than only people looking at the
> thing from the helicopter viewpoint.  (Easier said than done, I know.)

This is very insightful, and excellent rule of thumb to keep in mind
about keeping the right perspective, the osm mappers perspective.

>>>     I think issues of does the data belong in OSM are separate issues, I
>>>     am just interested in how to map it and tag it well. I would be
>>>     mapping nothing but ground truthed data that we already map every day,
>>>     trees and light poles and ground type, landuse. It is publicly
>>>     available data (CC0).
>
> Sure, that's fine, but beware that you are perhaps verging on an import.

For sure not an import in my mind (6 points at the moment,hand mapped
from a ground survey form which includes a picture of the HLZ from
directly overhead), but happy to take the consensus here if I should
treat it as an import and hopefully with the tagging figured out, any
"near import" would be generally accepted through that full process.

Thank you very much for helping get this sorted out.