> On Jan 9, 2017, at 1:39 PM, Bill Ricker <bill.n1...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> It would be a great option, but that's not what the gardeners
> maintaining the traffic islands, rotary or otherwise, are planting
> here.

tl;dr:

Tagging the trees and the flowerbeds is great - but all that other 1-3m tall
green crap people maintain around roads is all hedges to me, unless it is just
scrub or another wild landuse for unmaintained places.

~~~~~

The road I'm driving in Tokyo right now has 3 types of (very thick) bushes
along the road separating the road traffic from the pedestrians, some small
mullberry trees and vines growing on frames to emulate a hedge.

Out in the rural spots, the "grass" on small little places around the roads is
usually thick weeds.

It's all barrier=hedge to me. Tag the trees if you can.

The grass in a highway median is overrun for out of control cars - clearly
landuse=highway + landcover=grass.  Grass in the center of a roundabout would
be too.

The hedges and landscaping are blocking People from walking, biking, or from
dumping their garbage - or as some kind of landscaping to prevent people
casually walking in the area - seems like barrier=hedge to me. Flowerbeds are
great and very specific - but how often are there tended beds of flowers?

They may not be hedgerows, but it is a barrier in many cases. They may be
little bushes or vines. Or little tree shaped things. But as a group, it is a
barrier, similar to how barrier=rope is a barrier - more symbolic than
forceful.

Javbw.