This thread has reminded me that I have encountered problems with
mapping disused quarries and surface mining.

The quarries that I have in mind are major geographical features - they
have not been filled in. I tried tagging them as landuse=quarry and
disused=yes. If landuse really does mean current use of an area, that
looks contradictory. Often such old quarries are now in use for
recreation, often the water filled part for watersports. So perhaps that
is "land"use=recreation or landuse=quarry;recreation? It seem clear that
there is a problem here. A (large) quarry is perhaps geographical rather
than landuse?

I have the same problem with historic surface mining areas: these are
major features on the landscape, often with very large excavations, and need
recording/rendering, yet now are "just" moorland or  have other uses.
Again, I didn't think landuse=surface_mining + historic + disused worked
and certainly didn't render.

I am tempted to bring up the case of major bridges which are parts of
abandoned railways not being rendered. While that really is a bug in the
renderers, if we had some tag for major physical features that would
be rendered regardless of any historic or disused tags. it would solve
many such problems.

Any suggestions: do we need new tags?

ael