> On Jan 11, 2017, at 7:42 PM, Marc Gemis <marc.ge...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>  think every place in the world should ideally belong to:
> - a landuse
> - a landcover polygon

That is awesome.

If you have a building, the plants and trees around the building belongs to the
land the building sits on, just like the parking lot, driveway, and the wall or
fence surrounding the single named place..  all those things are an “amenity”
of the building. A park may have more non-green than green - but the land use
is related to the park itself. the same is true for the bushes growing along
it’s fence that separates it from the road or the adjacent houses.

In places, like rural areas, natural areas, or some place like slums or war
ravaged areas where boundries are not easy to discern, I understand how
defining landuses can be difficult, but we are talking about mapping the bushes
in between buildings in this post, so the idea of understanding where large
landuses (like a mall, school, apartment complex, highway infrastructure, etc)
is really easy to discern and therefore easy to map.

This is why in the past I was pushing for other generic landuse values (like
civic), because everything in a urban environment should be covered by a
landuse of some kind - and there are several *gaping holes* in landuse
definitions.
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/landuse%3Dcivic#Missing_Landuse

<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/landuse=civic#Missing_Landuse>

Tying a landuse to it’s landcover is just a relic of old tagging schema.

in the interim, bushes and shrubs and other things that impede people from
occupying the land in an urban environ that is not another type of tag
(flowerbed, tree, etc) should be tagged as barrier=hedge IMO. It is a barrier,
it s a hedge in the loose sense (there is no single type, size, or plant type
of hedge), and it easily works with macro and micromapping.

if people want something more descriptive and something in the landcover= key
like “urban_greenery” as a catchall for urban non-grass non-flowerbed  non-tree
plants -  great, lets do it - but barrier hedge fits the bill pretty good
already. no one is going to be cutting through such areas in an urban/sububan
setting, while a landcover=grass would easily be walked over.

After thinking about the value, I am against "landscaping", as it is the
*arrangement* of the bushes and dirt that makes it landscaped. Some landscaping
is rocks and gravel and placement of boulders.  A lot of the urban hedges are
just filler, walls, or a pretty "fence" to impede jaywalking - all jobs of
barriers.

Javbw