On Mon, 20 Mar 2017 13:47:46 -0400
Kevin Kenny <kevin.b.kenny+...@gmail.com> wrote:

> If there is a traffic signal at an intersection, the default is that
> traffic from any direction will be facing a signal.

Yes, but only in the case of tagging the traffic signals at the
intersection node.

If the traffic_signals tag is placed on a way node, then there is
ambiguity. A human observer might guess that it applies to traffic
directed to the nearest intersection - and one might even implement
that as an algorithm... But it is ambiguous at best.

> I don't think with the present state of data consumers, that there is
> necessarily a "right way" to do this. Ultimately, it will be the data
> consumers that will decide what the "right way" is: tag your
> STOP and YIELD signs correctly

Yes, users are ultimately right... And expressing themselves early will
save everyone some of the chaotic period that precedes the settling in
of perennial tags. Implementation rules but discussing it a little
beforehand is valuable.