> Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2017 09:04:57 +0900
> From: John Willis <jo...@mac.com>
> To: "Tag discussion, strategy and related tools"
>       <tagging@openstreetmap.org>
> Subject: Re: [Tagging] Platform screen doors and automatic platform
>       gates
>

> Javbw
>
>> On Apr 16, 2017, at 12:49 AM, jc86035 <jc86...@openmailbox.org> wrote:
>>
>> It'd be easier for mappers to just add a tag to the platform
>> or the side of the platform area.
> It might just be a tagged value of the transportation platform (like
> covered=yes), but unmapped.
>
> Or perhaps, since the barrier is quite long is places (100m in Tokyo) and
> 2/3rds of it is a unmoving wall, perhaps putting it in barrier=* is a good
> idea, like barrier=platform_protection or similar. Some of the barriers are
> whole walls with doors in the walls (Korea), or a low wall/fence you can put
> your elbows on top of, with sliding gates that are also about 1m tall.
>
> Map it as a way along the edge of the platform polygon, and you could use
> nodes for the doors and add ref=* as necessary for the door positions (they
> are all labeled in Tokyo) platform_protection=gate or similar to keep it out
> of the normal barrier=gate.
>
> Javbw.

I think it might help to have barrier=platform_gates and
barrier=platform_doors to avoid requiring another tag for which type it
is (default material=glass?). Having the nodes as platform_protection=*
(maybe platform_separation=*?) instead of barrier=* seems like a good
idea, since otherwise gates would all be rendered as regular gates.

jc86035