HI Phil, hi Colin,

in the case of 4a/4b etc I would put in different stop points. If 4a always
serves one route, then 4a would be added to the route relation. Maybe if 4a
/ 5a / 6a can all serve the same route, then I don't know what the solution
is.... Maybe you just add a new stop point somewhere, and add a note? Or
put 4a/5a/6a into a relation, and add the relation? (That would be against
the spec at the moment I think... but could be a solution.)

Colin: Actually, in the case you mentioned (short/long trains), I guess
there could also be several stop points. I think that's not a problem. It's
just you would only add one of those to the route relation. For the several
stop points, ideally there would be a note, saying "front of train, 4
carriages" or "front of train, 8 carriages", or maybe an additional tag of
some kind.

To come back to the original question: If an association between a stop
point and platform exists (as it does on the underground), is there a way
of indicating this through tagging? What are your views?

There are a few possibilities, e.g. both the stop point and the platform
could share the same name (kinda fragile though). They could be ordered in
the relation so that the stopping_position comes first, followed by the
platform (this would be a new feature, but e.g. a tag could be added to the
route relation where this ordering has taken place). Also, the roles in the
route are stop/platform, but also suggest stop:n / platform:n. It's not to
order them, and it doesn't look like this is to associate stop/platform,
but it could be used.

What do you think?

Bjoern