There is a big difference between a limited number of binary options
and  essentially moving all values in to key space (and I can give a lot
of reasons why it is a really really bad idea in a free form, user
extendible tagging system).

But it seems to be rather off-topic in this thread in any case: I simply
wanted to know if there is a clear characterisation of shop=fashion that
can serve as disambiguation between it and shop=boutique and
shop=clothes (with appropriate additional tags).

We have one voice saying that it should be considered a cheap variant of
boutique limited to clothes, and the others suggesting that it is an
upmarket shop=clothes and that shop=boutique should have a broader not
only clothes definition.

One takeaway is that adding the "clothes" tag both to fashion and
boutique would be a good idea.

Simon