Hi,

I had a task of extracting subway infrastructure from OpenStreetMap, and I found out that some things cannot be mapped at all (e.g. interchanges), and some are unclear or mapped differently in different countries.

Please consider this proposal that clarifies tagging and mapping of subway stations:

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Metro_Mapping

I have already started improving the mapping of several metro systems in different cities. Mostly that involves adding stop_area and stop_area_group relations.

Adhering to this document would greatly simplify using subway data from OpenStreetMap in applications — both for multi-modal routing and for formatting pretty schemes.

Thanks,
Ilya