I've thought about it and I believe the option with a note is better.

If we tag it on the area:
 - an unaware data consumer will see just some strange tags
 - an informed data consumer will know "somewhere in there"

If we mark the object with a note:
 - an unaware data consumer will see the object with an inaccurate position
 - an informed data consumer will know "somewhere around there"

With the exception of data consumers who rely on accurate positions (which
is a dangerous thing to do with OSM), an (reasonably) inaccurate position
seems better than no position. If I want to find a bench, getting a
position 10m off seems better than not seeing any. Also, tagging on the
area will likely be messy - I might want to add a lot of details about a
bench, which would result in tons of tags on the area, which would require
something like ":bench" and so on... Finally, an object with a note can
give a bit more information - while the fact that a bench will not leave
the park and a BWE will stay in the mine is somewhat intuitive, expressing
"benches are usually along these three paths" would be nigh impossible with
a tag on an area.

Thing is, notes are meant to be human readable, not machine readable. Notes
can contain other information and are harder to look for typos in. Couldn't
we agree on a tag for these objects? Something like "position=variable"?