On Thu, Jan 18, 2018 at 7:49 PM, Volker Schmidt <vosc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Two nice examples of complex cases, which in my view would be best tagged
> using the cycleway=lane tag and separate foot- and cycle-ways (both are at
> present not yet correctly tagged in OSM)

Very nice examples indeed. But they are not very common.

> mapillary.com/map/im/kRr5NPEzjLiwDsHWdAL-aw
> (from left to right in the picture:))
> | oneway single lane road | one-way cycle lane (same direction) | segregated
> cycle-foot-way with one-way bicycle lane in the opposite direction |

Here the kerb is a physical barrier between the opposite directions of
the cycleway, so it must be split into different lines. One direction
is level with the road (it is a cycle lane), the other is physically
separated from the main way (it is a cycle track) and is level with
the sidewalk. There is no sidewalk between the two directions of
cycling, so we must represent that somehow. Fortunately, simply adding
sidewalk=left to the main way and sidewalk=right to the cycle track
does the trick.

Assuming the OSM's lines direction are the same as the viewing
direction of those pictures (whenever oneway=-1 or oneway:bicycle=-1,
one could just reverse the way and use oneway=yes or
oneway:bicycle=yes instead):

1. Main way's line:
- highway=residential/unclassified/tertiary/secondary/primary
- oneway=yes
- oneway:bicycle=yes
- cycleway:left=no
- cycleway:right=lane
- sidewalk=left

2. Combined sidewalk/cycleway's line (case S4 [1]):
- highway=cycleway
- oneway=-1
- foot=designated
- segregated=yes
- sidewalk=right

> mapillary.com/map/im/6Ga2jVWZUd9TNFssCIAb-g
> (from left to right in the picture:)
>
> | separate side walk only for pedestrians (not visible) | oneway cycle lane
> tords the camera | two-lane road with opposite directions |  separate
> cycle-foot-way with segregation |

This changes the tags of the previous case as follows:

1. Main way's line:
- oneway=no
- oneway:bicycle=-1
- cycleway:left=lane
- cycleway:right=no (or nonstandard cycleway:right=separate/sidepath
for clarity)

2. Combined sidewalk/cycleway's line (case S4 [1]):
- oneway=yes

I just noticed that cycleway=sidepath, cycleway:left=sidepath and
cycleway:right=sidepath are much more common than sidewalk=separate.
So it might make more sense to suggest sidewalk=sidepath instead.

[1] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Bicycle

> On 18 January 2018 at 22:02, Fernando Trebien <fernando.treb...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> "Note that a cycle track may alternatively be drawn as a separate way
>> next to the road which is tagged as highway=cycleway. Both methods
>> each have their pros and cons. While adding a single tag to an
>> existing way takes less time and still often describes the cycle track
>> accurately, a separately tagged cycle way is generally more flexible
>> and allows to capture more detail. When mapping a cycle track as its
>> own way, do not use any of the tags described below. "
>>
>> I think this means that, when trying to represent in OSM a road with a
>> parallel cycle track, if the track is mapped as a different line with
>> highway=cycleway, you should not add cycleway=* on the main road's
>> line.
>>
>> Or is it about a road with both a cycle lane AND a parallel cycle
>> track? If it is so, there would be no need to discuss pros and cons of
>> either method (tag on main way vs separate way), one should surely use
>> cycleway=lane on the main way and also map the parallel track as a
>> separate line.
>>
>> On Thu, Jan 18, 2018 at 3:30 PM, Dave F <davefoxfa...@btinternet.com>
>> wrote:
>> > You've either misread the paragraph or misused the asterisk.
>> >
>> > Roads can have a separate cycle path running parallel to it *and* a
>> > designated cycle lane in the road.
>> >
>> > DaveF

>> --
>> Fernando Trebien