On Mon, Jan 22, 2018 at 3:59 PM, Tobias Knerr <o...@tobias-knerr.de> wrote:
> On 22.01.2018 17:25, Fernando Trebien wrote:
>> - sett: hewn stones with flat top (...) [2] (...)> - cobblestone: hewn
>> stones with slightly arched top (...) images [3]
> and [4]
>
> I don't believe requiring mappers to make a distinction between these
> two is a good idea. Let's look at your images:
>
>> [2] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/images/e/ec/Dscf1641-800.jpg
>> [3] https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/68/Kasseien.jpg
>> [4]
> https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/bf/Guzow-oryszew_road_cm03.jpg
>
> If I read your mail correctly, you suggest that [3] and [4] belong in
> the same category, while [2] is a fundamentally different surface type.
>
> But when I look at these, [2] and [3] feel a lot more similar to each
> other than [4] is to either of them.

[2] and [3] are similar according to the layout pattern (regular,
cuboid stones), whereas [3] and [4] are similar according to their
usability by various modes of travel (car, bicycle, foot - shoes, foot
- high heels). This is because in [2] the stones are mostly flat,
whereas in [3] and in [4] they are slightly arched.

Having an arched top (but not as round as [6]) has been pointed out as
a distinctive character by both British [9][10] and German [11]
mappers.

[9] https://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?pid=681311#p681311
[10] https://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?pid=681502#p681502
[11] https://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?pid=681773#p681773