> >  Not to mention standard osm render doesn't currently render pipelines.
> > Introducing a new value of waterway, already imported in mapnik schema
> > may be simpler than adding pipeline and some extra keys.
>
> Changing tagging scheme as workaround for a single database is a really
> poor idea.

That wasn't my point.
All mapnik and osm2pgsql based projects will have to rebuilt their db to
eventually render pipeline as to get extra water paths.

No, because it changes current tagging scheme without a good reason.
> I suspect that this proposal may be doing the same (changing tagging
> scheme without real benefit)

Good, bad are so subjective.
Can't we talk about consistency or sustainability of using words in place
of another (canal, tunnel, ...)?

> >> Can you give example of real data consumer(s) where it will improve
> situation?
> >To get the whole hydrographic system, users have to query waterway,
> > pipeline and some other keys not all related to water.
> > If all water paths would have only waterway=*, this would be simpler and
> sustainable.
>
> a) to repeat - Can you give example of real data consumer(s) where it
> will improve
> situation?

This will prevent database rebuilt on my data collectors for instance,
because I'm already collecting waterway key, but not pipeline
Since it's time consuming for me to get all waterways data, I try to find a
sustainable solution to prevent other from facing such an issue.

Anyway and according to you, changing tagging for a particular case is a
poor idea.
The proposal wasn't intended for my particular situation, but because I
find this tagging more comprehensive and understandable for everyone.