From: OSMDoudou <19b350d2-b1b3-4edb-ad96-288ea1238...@gmx.com>
Sent: 24 January 2018 19:46:26
To: 'Tag discussion, strategy and related tools'
Subject: Re: [Tagging] How to tag shop areas in a shopping mall ?

Following the discussion here, I changed the mapping of the mall to move tags
from individual nodes to an area.

For one shop, it attracted feedback from the commercial entity who maintains
its data on OpenStreetMap saying the change broke something at their side. See
the discussion on the changeset: [1].

I'm very glad a company enriches the map and actively maintains the data (1700
nodes, they say), so I really want to support them and I reverted the change.

But as they're asking to maintain their shops tagged as node, this is
effectively asking the community refrains itself from improving the tagging of
the mall (following the idea that shops are better mapped as areas than nodes),
and this is not in the interest of the community (which is to have a complete,
coherent, accurate and maintained mapping of the place).

So, I wanted to ask your views on how to deal with this situation.

[1] https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/55640175#map=19/50.45645/3.93247