> I believe the list of tags that needs to be extended to fix the issue is
> the same as it was with a similar issue (overlapping way warning with
> waterway=riverbank), but I'm not very familiar with JOSM's codebase:
> https://josm.openstreetmap.de/ticket/9140
>
> > It seems indoor walls cannot overlap. Same if I try indoor=room.
>
> Note that unlike indoor=room, overlapping indoor=wall segments are
> indeed an error.

Looking in the wiki at this scheme:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/File:Indoor2.0_elements.svg

it seems that indoor=room is to describe a room (which is delimited by
walls). In this case, these objects indeed should not overlap, as there
will always be a wall between 2 rooms. If the walls were to be included in
the object, it would be ok to overlap the rooms. Unfortunately the wiki
(where I looked) didn't explain these basic concepts.

FWIW, in architecture you would account for wall thickness (walls as 2
lines) for representation in scales below 1:200 and would use 1 line for
scales 1:200 and 1:500. Different layers of the wall (=more than 2 lines)
would be drawn in scales 1:1 - 1:25 (according to the materials, etc., in
1:50 you would use hatches to symbolize different kind of wall
constructions, but would have generalized drawings without entering into
specifics, usually).

Cheers,
Martin