There are tons and tons of little singular Budda statues on a pedestal and
perhaps a little roof,  and people leave coins, sake, and dress them in
jackets. There are also very tiny Shinto "shrines" on the top of mountains
(like the size of a shoebox or microwave) that have a spot for offerings and
candles and whatnot.

There are probably several million of these in Japan. Most are not mapped.

To me these are wayside_shrines.

To me, a building=shrine / temple "enshrines" an object or offers a place for
worship of a statue or object.

My School's temple has a gigantic Budda in the main temple. You come pray in
front of it. You can shrink down the building and the statue a lot and still
have it be "a temple" using these 2 rules:

1 - There is (somehow) room for someone to go inside. Basically the smallest
building=temple or building=shrine is about the size of a garden shed. It has a
door, a person or 3 people can go inside,

2 - the building itself is recognizable as an object itself - unlike the
way_side shrine or roadside cross or similar - just a little cover or roof over
a statue and an offering box.

There are many of these small "garden shed" POWs - but they are mapped and
considered "shrines" or "temples" by people.

Javbw