Hi Joost
As a native English speaker I have never heard the term Hollow Way, however
reading the description it seems that this proposal is describing what is
called a Sunken Lane.

I would avoid cutting as that implies something that has been cut deliberately
for the construction of a motorway, railway or canal etc.

Cheers Phil