François

I don't have an example.  I was trying to think of an example where layer
would be needed for a stream/road crossing.  A pipe would probably be a
better example.

Sorry to cause a distraction.

My real question is "Why not allow tunnel=culvert to be a node?"

Emmor

> In the case where a culvert carries a watercourse over a road then it
> would make sense to create a way and layer=1

Can you provide examples of such a culvert please?

IMHO this can't be called a culvert since there is pretty no point to cover
the water course if it is over the road.
This maybe a canal (waterway=canal, eventually with bridge=aqueduct on it)
or the road can go through a tunnel like here :
https://photorator.com/photos/images/underwater-road-xpost-
from-rwoahdude-20901.jpg

All the best

François