PT v2 says you CAN map stops using 2 objects. People reading that
understood that you MUST use both a stop_position node and a platform
way/node.

Then it was interpreted as: both of those HAVE TO be added to the route
relations.

To make things look consistent in the route relations, then some mappers
started adding platform ways where no actual platforms exist.

All in all the scheme, when interpreted like that, is too complex.
Information is duplicated across several objects, creating a need to keep
them in sync afterwards, whichj is, of course absurd.

Personally I don't see a need for the stop_position nodes, so for the few
ones that I do add, they don't get details like name, and I don't add them
to the route relations.

Also the route relations, it's not one per direction of travel. It's one
per variation of itinerary, which often comes down to 2 relations per
route_master relation, but it can also be just 1, or up to 50 (
https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/3944387). For "telescopic"
lines, I only create route relations for the longer variants. The whole
thing is messy enough as it is.

Polyglot