As to the term roundtrip, I have inderstood this completely wrong, probably
because the Dutch term Rondwandeling literally translates as roundtrip. Now
that I've been set straight, I think the correct meaning should be
documented on the wiki page. The bracketed "explanation" (circular route)
should be removed.
The correct meaning is something like:
roundtrip=yes means you can return to the starting point by (almost) the
same route and transport method.

Personally I would stay away from payment, embarking/boarding, ticket types
etcetera. If I can cross the road, get another ticket and return tot the
starting point in another bus, I would still consider it roundtrip=yes.

Which in PT would be the default, I think.. So you would only tag
roundtrip=no if you can't return the same way.
I don't know enough about PT tagging to know if that's useful in that
context. If so, a use case would be nice on the wiki page.

With hiking routes, this meaning of the tag is not useful, I would say.
Current use is, sadly, opposite the actual meaning.

>From the Dutch forum I get that they think it's important to tag circular
routes as such, even when they are geographically not circular routes
(circular in the sense that you just keep following the markings and then
you end up in the same place you started.) Tagging geographically circular
hiking roads as non-circular, I can't think of a use case, but that's fine.

I agree that circular=yes|no is confusing, because a special meaning of
circular in the context of a route is meant, not literally circular in
shape. Route:circular=yes is cool with me.

The other important attribute for the Dutch is oneway or not, for hiking
and biking that means that the waymarks are onesided. That happens more
than you would think! oneway=yes in combination with the correct sorting
direction should be enough I think?

In sum, just one additional key needed, and of course correction tagging of
roundtrip=yes to route:circular=yes.

Probably have to adapt some validation and detection tools, too.

Vr gr Peter Elderson