On 21/05/18 07:57, Warin wrote:
On 20/05/18 18:33, Mateusz Konieczny wrote:
19. May 2018 04:33 by 61sundow...@gmail.com <mailto:61sundow...@gmail.com>:

    The intermittent tag continues to be confused with seasonal.

    Possibly this is because some want to use it to indicate that a
    follow is both seasonal and intermittent?

At least in my case it was like this:

- I discovered intermittent tag

- later I encountered someone claiming that seasonal water flow

  should be tagged with seasonal tag

- I checked intermittent definition in some sources and found no

  confirmation that "intermittent" excludes cyclic changes

If 'intermittent' is taken as the same as seasonal then why have both keys?
To me they are not the same.
Take for example Lake Eyre in Australia. It is a salt lake that is dry most of the time. It does not fill yearly, so it does not follow a yearly cycle.
Nor does it only follow a local season .. or even a remote season.
The water usually comes from Queensland .. some 1,000s of km away.
Once it fills, water remains for quite some time .. say 2 months.
Historically it used to have significant water in it (not necessarily full) about every 10 years. Now it looks to have significant water in it (not necessarily full) about every 5 years.

So it cannot be tagged seasonal .. as it follows no yearly cycle.
It cannot be described as ephemeral as it has a long duration.

The locals say it is intermittent as do the officials.  That is how it is tagged in OSM.

--------------------------------
In my case:

I think we all have been dealing with seasonal things since birth - so should understand its definition.

I have been dealing with 'intermittent' things for most of my professional life. So have some understanding of what that means.

Ephemeral is a new term for me.  I have been looking at the various uses of the word and various definitions. I was prompted by the thoughts of another mapper.

My take  for water bodies:

Perennial: I expect to find water here at any time. Exceptions: drought

Seasonal: I expect to find water here on a yearly cycle, usually for months. Exceptions: drought

Intermittent: I don't expect to find water here. Exceptions: heavy rainfall or snow melt. The water could be here for some time .. up to 2 months.

Ephemeral: I don't expect to find water here. Exceptions: heavy rainfall or snow melt. The water can only be here for a short time .. less than a week, usually a day or less.