For access restrictions we had started by using psv=yes, but I guess few
people will read that as public services vehicle and another problem with
that is that is apparently includes taxis as well.

Personallly, I see a big difference between a way tagged as *=platform and
a node with that tag.

On a way it means the area where passengers are supposed to stand and which
usually is a bit higher, or explicitely created for those passengers. You
know it, when you see it.

On a node it means waiting area, where you can expect to be picked up by a
public transport vehicle. There could be pole, there could be a platform
(which can be drawn next to it), there could be a shelter, a vending
machine, a screen announcing when the vehicle will come, garbage cans,
benches. Or there could be nothing there at all, but the convention that
buses will alight and pick up passengers at that spot.

The platform node groups most of the properties of the bus stop, so it
makes sense to add it to the route relations. I'd like to see that it can
remain a node over the lifetime of such a bus stop. And for all the other
amenities near it, we can have separate objects.

This works just as well for bus stops as for tram stops and indeed, some
tram stops are served by buses as well.

it's that 'platform' node that gets bus=yes/tram=yes etc.

For the platform way/area mode of transport is far less important.

Maybe the platform node should have been called something else. Especially
since stop_position contains the word stop and some new mappers consider
that to be the correct tag for tagging the bus stop.

So yes, words are confusing and the way they have become defined in
OpenStreetMap even more so.

Polyglot