I do not agree with the proposal to use waterway=canal with a new canal=x
tag to indicate a non-existant waterway for canoes.
For the canoe routes, which started the canoe side of this discussion, I
would say that the in-water ways should be tagged as route=canoe without
problems and in concordance with the wiki for the route key "route=x".

I could go along with the extension of the definition of waterway=canal to
cover also navigation channels in larger bodies of water, if this solution
is accepted as a result of  voting process on a formal proposal. Personally
I prefer a new tag for nautical or navigation channels.

BTW, the quoted 1800 uses of canal=x are nearly all "canal=fixme", so to
say that "canal=x" is an established way of tagging is misleading.