On Fri, Jul 27, 2018 at 6:48 PM, Kevin Kenny <kevin.b.kenny+...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I'm all for SI units for things like voltages and elevations. I'm
> perfectly fine with tagging the elevation of Slide Mountain as 1274
> metres and letting a US data consumer convert that to 4180 feet.

I respectfully disagree.  One reason is of rounding errors in conversions,
as somebody said
earlier in the thread.  The other reason is one you imply below.

> Regulatory things like maxspeed=* should have the unit in the tag, and
> they should be in the same units that the signs are in. A sign reading
> 'Speed limit 25 mph' means 25 mph, and entering 40.2336 km/h loses the
> information that the regulatory signs are in US customary units.

+0.5

Not +1 because this reasoning applies to *everything.*

If you're navigating somewhere unfamiliar to you and GPS isn't giving you an
accurate signal, what you're interested in is what signs actually *say.*
Because
when you're in confusing territory a speed sign, or a bridge clearance, or
whatever
may be a significant clue.  Knowing that the speed limit is 40.2336 km/h
doesn't tell
you to look for a sign saying 25 mph.  You need both (so you don't break
the speed
limit), and I hope advances in rendering will eventually allow both (see
Wikimedia project
to provide multilingual mapping) to be displayable.

Actually, you only need both if you take your own car to a different
country, so your car
speedo is marked in km/h and the signs are mph.  Because if you rent a car
you're
almost certain to get one where the speedo is marked in the appropriate
unit.  Actually,
it's been many decades since I've seen speedos that were not marked in both
mph
and km/h, but it may be different in other countries.

That just leaves bridge clearances which will cause problems.  But even
people
driving in unfamiliar parts of their own country can get that wrong.  See
this youtube
channel for amusing videos about a bridge with 11' 8" clearance and people
who
don't understand their vehicle needs more clearance than that:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXX0RWOIBjt4o3ziHu-6a5A

The alternative is to tag in SI units, accept rounding errors in some
countries, and
then tag US (and other country) speed limits with something like
customary_unit=mph.
Much cleaner to tag in whatever units are actually used and do conversions
on the
display side rather than the data entry side.

--
Paul